“If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” – Romans 10:9
Friends…49 years ago (almost to the day!), I established Jesus Christ as the LORD of my life after hearing a speaker at OSU. I was alone in my bunk bed and I prayed with a pit in my stomach, “Jesus Christ I make you the LORD of my life.” Life has never been the same. The easiest way to share the gospel is through YOUR story!
A testimony is simply the story of how a person came to surrender their life to Jesus Christ. Your testimony, or witness, reveals what has happened to you in the process of believing in and surrendering to Him. Testimonies always focus on the redemption of Jesus as well as the greatness of God. Consider this simple outline…
1. What habits, attitudes, and/or actions marked your life prior to becoming a follower of Christ? (Ephesians 2:3; Colossians 3:6,7).
2. How did you specifically surrender to Jesus Christ?
- Describe in detail what you remember feeling and confessing at the time you gave everything over to Him (John19:39).
- Surrendering to Christ means that we have renounced the “competing kingdoms” we once built, and are now allowing God’s reign to rule in us. Jesus ultimately framed this kind of surrender as dying to ourselves and letting Him lead us (Luke 9:23). When you write and communicate your story, describe what that competing kingdom was and how exactly you surrendered it.
3. Describe how you have seen transformation and conformity to Jesus Christ in your attitudes, values, and behaviors now that you’ve surrendered your life to Him.