“And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” – Mark 11:25 NIV
Forgiveness means giving up your right to punish another.
Here are a few truisms about forgiveness:
- Forgiveness is not forgetting.
- Forgiveness is a choice.
- Forgiveness is agreeing to live with the consequences of another person’s sin.
- Forgiveness is choosing not to hold someone’s sin against him or her any more.
- Don’t wait until you feel like forgiving.
- Forgive for your sake, so you can be free.
- The ultimate reason to forgive is because Christ forgave you.
- If you have a difficult time forgiving someone Christ has forgiven, then repent and turn to Christ for the power to forgive.
- If you refuse to forgive you will not experience the forgiveness of God “But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins” – Matthew 6:15 NIV
- Forgiveness means giving up your right to punish another.
Circle two of the above that you need to work on in your life. Trust God for the power to follow through.